Winter get-a-way (close to home)

Discuss greenhouse related topics and outside weather protection methods.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Barrie

Winter get-a-way (close to home)

Post by Barrie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Mild temps, sunshine and dead calm ... what could be better? An afternoon in my greenhouse/coldframe! It warms up nicely to 23c (75f) and hanging out with the palms etc is a winter get-a-way without leaving home. A 1,000 sqaure feet to roam around and brush the palm fronds away from your path.

Cheers, Barrie.

Wes North Van

Barrie

Post by Wes North Van » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:24 pm

The greenhouse is looking great. The palms look alot bigger than the last time I was there.
You got anything out of the ordinary for palms in there?
Like a good sized sabal minor?
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Greenhouse

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 pm

Barrie where did you purchase your greenhouse? I`m looking for something similar.
John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:22 pm

There's next to nothing here from when you last visited Wes. All the stock has turned over at least once. I try not no carry anything out of the ordinary. I'd like to but the interest is sadly lacking here on the Island. Most people want the basic Windmill palms or rarely a Mediterranean fan palm. There might be a dozen or 2 enthusiasts from here to Victoria, so hardly worth spending money on plams that just sit. I always have somethings tucked away for the interested visitors.

John, this was a second hand purchase but I believe it originally came from B&W greenhouse http://www.bwgreenhouse.com/

Cheers, Barrie.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:52 am

Great setup Barrie !

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:18 am

Barrie - very nice. It is a vacation inside a greenhouse. In wintertime I head to two nurseries here in Kansas City that have nice stuff. Its great to walk around and smell the humidity.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

ryan
Seedling

Post by ryan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:56 am

Thats really nice Barrie, I wish I had something similar to that in winter time. Maybe this spring I will build one.

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

barries vacation home

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:25 pm

Barrie,

1000 square feet of paradise....PS-all's you need is a few birds in there and its complete...

Palmettoman z6-Ajax, On

tropicman
Small Palm

Post by tropicman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Or Maybe a fancy drink with one of those umbrellas,and a straw!
Hammock!

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:46 pm

I don't heat this at all, since it would cost a fortune and it's just 6 mil poly. The sun streaming in on a sunny winter day is nice though. 14' tall at the peak and 20' x 50'. It opens up along the bottom 4' for summer venting, the full length of the structure. Stucco wire was placed over the opening to keep unwanted critters out.
I do have a canvas low slung deck chair and cold beer when the work is done. Small native birds & snakes do get inside once in a while. A rodent once ate some Trachycarpus oreophilus seedlings. Wouldn't settle for run of the mill T. fortunei so I killed it the next night. My wife doesn't care for being inside the greenhouse when it's warm and humid. Too whimpy I guess.

Cheers, Barrie.

tropicman
Small Palm

Post by tropicman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:04 pm

My wife's the same,very humid in mine with the pond.
But she does go into the sunroom to be with me and my parrots,and of course to watch TV!

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:15 pm

We have an abundance of the bright green tree Frogs as well as Anole's everywhere. In the summer these things get in the house all the time. Eat the hell out of the bugs though. :wink:

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:01 pm

Hey Laaz, is that first picture the gecko that does the GEICO commercials. If not, he must be related becuase they look alike.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:36 pm

oppalm they might be :lol: Those things are everywhere down here. The males have a big red flap on their throats. The flap them out when fighting with other males over the females. You really have to see it. They draw blood & bight each others tails off...