Yellow Grove Bamboo

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

Yellow Grove Bamboo

Post by Kansas » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:33 pm

I thought I had just one culm groing. After I checked today, I noticed I had 6-7 culms just starting to come out of the ground.
With this aggresive running bamboo, a lot were darn near the side of the pot. So I took a big tub (2' deep, 2' wide 3' long) and drilled holes in the bottom.
I put in a mixture of native soil, 4 year old manure (almost like dirt, not very fresh at all) and 2 year old (fresh) manure and mixed them at 1-3-3.
When I pulled the bamboo out of the old pot, I noticed that I had about 13-14 new culms. I am NOT putting the tub in the ground like i did the pot.
I hope I didn't hurt it by putting it in another pot while it was shooting. I didn't disturb the roots or rhizomes (sp?) at all, just took out of pot and put in tub and put new soil around. Any thoughts?

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:39 pm

I don't think that you damaged the rhizomes.

But I am wondering if the soil that you made up is too rich. ?

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Yea, I thought that too, but I used that 2 year old manure on some Trachy Fortunei seedlings that I thought were dying. I took them, repotted with that manure (straight, no mixture of native soil) and since then (month) they are not only looking GREAT, but are growing at a visible rate a day.
I actually think that 4 year old manure is almost dirt. It doesn't smell, look, feel or grow things like manure at all.