Afghanistan

Discuss all your non palm related stuff here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Alchris

Afghanistan

Post by Alchris » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:59 am

6 more Canadian soldiers were murdered by the Taliban. This was supposed to be Peace Keeping. The people need us there, but at what cost?

We cannot out-terrorize the Taliban. As a result the locals will always co-operate with them out of fear.

Maybe we should arm our troops with more efficient killing weapons.

Allen

You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:50 am

I have a friend and gardening neighbor who has a unique tribute / memorial to our fallen troops. It was featured in at least one magazine and local newspapers too. I'll have to get over there and take a picture.
Cheers, Barrie.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:12 am

Please do Barrie.

I used to see some of the troops from CFB Namao regularly when they were shopping. While I did not know any of the 50 that have been killed, seeing them was a constant reminder of what was happening over there.

I am eternally thankful that we changed governments. For the first year or so when they first went to Afghanistan, the troops didn't have khaki fatigues and were wearing their 'greens' in the desert. They used to joke that at least the Taliban could tell that they were Canadian and not Brits or Americans. Unlike most areas of the world, the extremists in the middle east don't respect Canadians as peacekeepers and the troops were sitting ducks until the sun bleached the color out of the uniforms. Luckily this happened quickly.

It is too bad that so many of the troops are sacrificed because we do not have reliable transport helicopters.

Allen

Barrie

Update

Post by Barrie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:38 pm

I finally got around to taking pics from the above subject.
The home owner whom I know, pins one poppy for each Canadian to have died in the Afganistan campaign against the Taliban and terrorism there. It's a humbling experience to stand under this great Douglas Fir and see the markers (not all of which can be seen in the photo) for each fallen Canadian. As a heavily decorated WWII war veteran, his heart is heavy when having to add to this memorial.
This humble dedication has been featured in a number of publications and periodicals. We support our troops overseas and wish for a speedy return home.

Cheers and trrop support, Barrie.

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:29 pm

We now have over 10,000 signatures on a petition to change 97 St. to Heroes Boulevard. This street is one of the main roads going north from downtown and continues out of town to CFB Namao.

The city is considering the petition now.

Allen

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:09 am

I wonder how many more names it will take for the street name to be changed?
The closest Canadian Forces Base here is 19 Wing Comox. There's also Navy weapons test range that extends from Nanoose Bay south and east into the Strait of Georgia. It's used frequently by both Canadian and US forces. Nothing in Nanaimo.

Cheers, Barrie.