Yuca Rostratas, Agave Parayis, Opuntias, Ice plants

Cold hardy desert plants etc.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Steve
Seed

Yuca Rostratas, Agave Parayis, Opuntias, Ice plants

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:10 pm

Hey everyone in the Central and South Okanagan Valley,

I'm crossing the Cascades on Saturday to go to Ray's place in Tsawwassen to pick up some Yucca Rostratas, Agave Parryis, Opuntias and ice plants. I've checked out the local area and there is no getting the Rostratas or Parryis around here. If anyone wants me to tag some plants or pick anything up for them I'll do my best. The Rostratas are supposed to have up to a 12" trunk and the Parryis are supposed to be 6" across. So... He doesn't officialy open til April 1st, but I've got the 'in'. I'm going to have the larger plants (Rostratas and agaves) delivered here to the Okanagan Valley some time between April 1st and the 15th. His website is at www.tropic.ca. Check it out.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Welcome

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:38 pm

Steve good to have more people from the B.C. interior talking Yuccas,Palms,Cactus ect. How much for the Yucca rostrata are they 1 gal?. Here is another site to check out for everyone to check out www.canadapalms.com
John 8)
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Steve
Seed

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Hey Okanagan Desert Palms,

Ray says that the Yucca Rostratas are 6 to 12 inch trunks, so they've got to be in a 5 gallon pot. I'll see. They are $75 each unless 5 or more of each plant are ordered. I'm planning on that for myself so the discount should 20 to 30 percent off that price after that. As for the Chilean Palms from that Canada palms website, it'd be really suspect of that. I doubt they're as hardy as that, God knows I'd love it, but I don't think so. I think the most hardy are the Trachis from Bulgaria. I think those will prove to be the winner. I might stop by there to see what they've got. As for the Needle Palms, I'll ask Ray them.

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Y.rostrata

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:03 am

Steve I would like to order 2 of the Y. rostrata tell me how?. I ordered a few Sabal louisiana, T.takil these I will plant in the ground. Most of the other palm trees I ordered from Canada Palms will be inside for the winter.
John 8)
6b-7a

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Steve. :D

Let us know how you make out at Rays place. :D Another good cacti site i have ordered from is http://www.rockgardenplants.com You guys might want to check it out.

Regards,
Jay

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Jay thats a great site for Yuccas, Cactus,ect. Thanks for reminding me of it as I was there about 8 months ago and forgot to save it in my favorites. What size Yuccas did you purchase from them? I went to a local name brand nursery it is amazing to me the lack of knowledge as to what Yuccas will survive here, and some palms. They just gave me this blank stare!and that was the manager. I told them I would give them some printed info on cold hardy Yuccas and Palms . Time will tell if it all sinks in. LOL.
John 8)
6b-7a

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Hi John,

The yuccas were close to one gallon size. The fellow who owns the nursery is a real nice guy. He shipped my order out before he even received payment. :) It doesn't surprise me how many nursery workers around here don't know much about cacti and palms. I went to a popular nursery on Springfield rd. to enquire about some yuccas and was told they wouldn't do well here because we are in a zone 4. That just shows how much they know. :(

Regards,
Jay