Updated Winter Death List!

Banana Plants, etc

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Updated Winter Death List!

Post by Paul Ont » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:55 am

I think the title describes it all. With the HOT temperatures we've had recently (26, 25, 28 on consecutive days this weekend) I was able to assess the winter toll on my plant collection. Low was only -23C, but the excess winter moisture, long thaw and cool early spring really hit hard.
The following plants are 100% dead:
Yucca brevifolia (5 years in the ground), Y. thompsoniana (both), Y. whipplei, Dasylirion texanum, Y. alofolia.
Opuntia splendens (polyacantha??), O. vulgaris, O. trinchophora, O. fragilis brachy., Echinocereus x roterri, E. triglochidiatus (from J. munro-cape), Cylinropunia spinosoir, Hesperaloe parviflora...
The following have between 20-50% survival chances:
Agave parryi 7000+ feet, Az(top killed, may come back from roots), Yucca glorisa variegata (probably dead, but spear looks OK), Opuntia cymochilla 'exquisite'... Others may be switched to this category.
Damaged but alive (50-99% chance of survival):
Yucca harrimaniae (outer leaves brown, inner fine), Opuntia phaecantha (Munro-Cape), Phyllostachys aureosulcata (small plant) 90% top kill, should come back from roots, P. nuda 80% top-kill, should come back from roots, R. hystrix burn to c. 20-30% of leaf tissue, spears firm, T. fortunei brun to 80-90% of exterior leaves, inner leaves fine and spear firm.
Not phased by winter:
Yucca elata, Yucca glauca, Y. filamentosa, Y. neomexicana, Miscanthus floridus 'gigantus', Magnolia virginiana australis (still green!), A. triloba, most cacti...\

It's always hard to see a plant that you've had for a while die unexpectedly in a mild winter... That brevifolia has been my prize for the past 5 years. I know that it shouldn't be hardy... I guess it had a good run:( I think I learned a lot from this winter... It's not necessarily the extreme low temp that will kil plants, prolonged wet can be just as deadly, if not more so...
Cheers,
Paul

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:17 pm

"Low was only -23C" Yikes ! ... that'll certainly do most "exotics" in. That's a hell of a list and a learning curve. Always a bummer to lose plants. :(
Winter's still hanging on here on Vancouver Island. No more than 10c for several days now and chilly night temps close to freezing. It is sunny however.

Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Oh Paul, I'm sick about your losses.

Shitty way to learn what they'll take. :cry:
Barb

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am

Paul that really sucks. Especially the brevifolia.

It is still way too early to tell how long my death list will be.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 am

Ha! Part of the fun is trying to grow what isn't supposed to, right? I may be young, but I've learned that the losses are inevitable. That is part of the reason I grow from seed; I expect losses, they are inevitable, and seed raised plants are a lot cheaper then nursery stock! Plus it's fun!

I hope that the new additions will do well (many cacti, Yuccas, and bamboo); but part of the fun is that some of these new plants will not be hardy (some, most I hope, will be!).
Hmmm... It's been a few years since I killed a Musa basjoo... Maybe I should try again!

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:36 am

Great attitude, Paul.
Barb

macario
Seedling

palms

Post by macario » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:52 am

Yes paul from death does come life. It will help you learn more how to deal with and grow the survivors. Plus it makes room for new blood lol.