Hello from the new guy.

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

palmmandan
Sprout

Hello from the new guy.

Post by palmmandan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:45 am

Hi everyone. This is my first post seeing I joined this forum 5 minutes ago. My name is Dan and I live in southeast Michigan. I have been a non practicing plant/garden nut for awhile. I was turned on to Cold Hardy Plams back in December after coming across and article on the internet. I love plam tree's and tropical plants. In fact I love most plants. I placed a few orders online for some palms. So far I have 2 - 3 foot Dwarf Palmetto's, a 3 foot windmill palm, a 1.5 foot windmill palm, 3 - 6 inch needle palms (young ones), and about 10 windmill seeds planted in containers. I also have a 7 foot windmill palm, a 2 foot needle palm, a 4 foot Pygmy Palm, and a 2 foot Dioon Palm ordered and being shipped for next weeks delivery. I will have a lot of questions so please bear with me.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:21 am

Welcome aboard Dan. :D

Cheers, Barrie.

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:58 am

Barrie. Tell me about yourself. What is Las Palmas Norte. Besides spanish for The North Palm.

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:46 am

Welcome Dan.
I'm Paul from zone 4b/5a Ontario, Canada. I have a few palms, but am mostly interested in the hardy Agavaceae and cactaceae... Been growing for about 5-6 years now. I have a tonne of seedling material as well as a large T. nainital (takil), T. fortunei, T. wagnerianus, and have 2 palms planted out: A struggling needle palm (planted as a 3 gallon 2 summers ago), and a T. fortunei which has refused to die despite inadequate protection and complete defoliation!
Cheers.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:45 pm

palmmandan wrote:Barrie. Tell me about yourself. What is Las Palmas Norte. Besides spanish for The North Palm.
Oh ... I have a few things on hand if people want to get get involved with palms and exotics.
Cheers, Barrie.

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Very nice Barrie. I am hoping to start a small buisness in Michigan like you have in BC. I would like to practice, experiment for about a year. Then maybe rent a spot in a local greenhouse. I don't have the land to build something right now.

macario
Seedling

Hello

Post by macario » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:14 pm

hello palmmandan Nice to meet you!!

Alchris

Post by Alchris » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am from the Canadian prairies and relatively new to palms, overwintering my first palms in 2007-08.

Allen
You don't have to be crazy to grow palms in Alberta..... But it helps

Mark
Seedling

Post by Mark » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:07 pm

Welcome Dan!

You will learn lots from the experts here. Where you orderning all those palms from? 7 foot Windmill.. nice. I need one of those. Planning to plant it in the ground?

I'm in northern Illinois by the way.
Mark

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Welcome Dan. Post some pics of your palms for us.

John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Wes North Van

Welcome

Post by Wes North Van » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:22 pm

Welcome Dan

Ask any palm questions you want. We have a lot of experience here on this board.

I live in North Vancouver BC by the water and I am in a zone 8b/9a wet winters and dry summer location.

Vancouver is loaded with palms especially trachycarpus fortunei, wagnerainus and chamaerops humilis.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:38 am

Mark,
I have ordered my palms from a few nurseries out of Georgia. I ordered the 3 foot and 1.5 foot windmill and 2 - 3 foot dwarf palmetto's from Arron's nursery. Found them online. I bought those March 1st and received them fairly quick. The were nice specimens. The strange thing when I ordered from Arron's was the prices. They only charged me $43. for each Dwarf Palmetto's. Even the Windmill Palm's were cheap. Then the strangest thing was the only charged $10.99 for shipping. They shipped through UPS and I watched the UPS struggle to pull this 6 foot box out of his truck. I know it cost more then $10.99 to ship. Funny thing is if I go on their website and try ordering the same plants. The total price is double. They raised the prices of the plants and also are charging $75. to ship. I made out lik a bandit. I ordered my 7 foot Windmilland 1.5 foot needle palm from Paradise Palm in Georgia online.

Not sure if I am going to try and put the 7 footer in the ground. I did buy a big Pot for it. I may just leave it outside until October and then take it to my work. My office has a 10 foot ceiling and a nice big window. That's is where my 3 foot Windmill is now.

I just about killed my first palms. I planted the Windmills and Dwarf Palmettos in organic soil. The was a bad idea. Soil drained real slow. And the water in the bottom of the tray smelt like sewage. So I repotted them in Miracle Gro's Palm soil. Lost a lot of leaves off the 3 foot Windmill. She seems much happier now.
Mark wrote:Welcome Dan!

You will learn lots from the experts here. Where you orderning all those palms from? 7 foot Windmill.. nice. I need one of those. Planning to plant it in the ground?

I'm in northern Illinois by the way.
Mark

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:44 am

Okanagan desert-palms wrote:Welcome Dan. Post some pics of your palms for us.

John
I will post some pics soon.

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:56 am

Forgot to mention also I have a lemon tree. I bought this in Florida while at the airport gift shop. It was a little sprout about 6 inches long when I bought it. I planted it and it did not move or grow. Then within a month while it was in th house it popped. It is now 3 years old and about 3.5 feet tall. Has not produced a lemon yet. Anyone know how to get it to start making some lemons? Has plenty of thorns but no lemons.

Mark
Seedling

Post by Mark » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Dan,

Do tell me how that Windmill from Paridise is. I was thinking of ordering from there as well or TyTy Nursery. Good luck with your new palms and take some pics.

Mark

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post seeing I joined this forum 5 minutes ago. My name is Dan and I live in southeast Michigan. I have been a non practicing plant/garden nut for awhile. I was turned on to Cold Hardy Plams back in December after coming across and article on the internet. I love plam tree's and tropical plants. In fact I love most plants. I placed a few orders online for some palms. So far I have 2 - 3 foot Dwarf Palmetto's, a 3 foot windmill palm, a 1.5 foot windmill palm, 3 - 6 inch needle palms (young ones), and about 10 windmill seeds planted in containers. I also have a 7 foot windmill palm, a 2 foot needle palm, a 4 foot Pygmy Palm, and a 2 foot Dioon Palm ordered and being shipped for next weeks delivery. I will have a lot of questions so please bear with me.
Welcome to the forum Dan. :D

Regards,
Jay

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 am

Mark wrote:Dan,

Do tell me how that Windmill from Paridise is. I was thinking of ordering from there as well or TyTy Nursery. Good luck with your new palms and take some pics.

Mark
Mark,

My 7 foot Windmill will be here today. Being shipped through Fed ex freight. I will post a pic after I get her. I have an order through TyTy right now. Have not received it yet. I read some bad reviews about them. I have a Pygmy Date Palm and a Dioon Gum Palm coming from them.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:01 am

Tyty ? Good luck with that. They are known thieves. You would have been much better off going through one of the many other mail order sites.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:50 am

What nurserys in the states have a good rating?

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:28 am

There are a bunch of nurseries in the states that have excellent reputations... One of the best is certainly PDN, though I think they mostly have small plants...
I've heard NOTHING good about TyTy... Sorry... Hopefully they've gotten their act togather after all the negative publicity! Anyone know what happened to their page on Garden Watch dog? Oh, and the owners of TyTy also run a bunch of other nurseries (under different names, but with the same cheesy pictures...) that should also be avoided.
Cheers,
Paul

Dean W.
Small Palm

Post by Dean W. » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:34 pm

Welcome, aboard, Dan! :)

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:00 am

Paul Ont wrote:There are a bunch of nurseries in the states that have excellent reputations... One of the best is certainly PDN, though I think they mostly have small plants...
I've heard NOTHING good about TyTy... Sorry... Hopefully they've gotten their act togather after all the negative publicity! Anyone know what happened to their page on Garden Watch dog? Oh, and the owners of TyTy also run a bunch of other nurseries (under different names, but with the same cheesy pictures...) that should also be avoided.
Cheers,
Paul
Just received my order from TyTy Got a nice Pygmy Date Palm and a Dioon Gum Palm. I am quite happy with them.

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 am

welcome Dan. great group of people here to help with your cold hardy palm questions. I'll start off with a piece of advice . PLEASE do not run with scissors. It can be very dangerous if you were to slip and fall and jab yourself. (know what I mean).
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

palmmandan
Sprout

Post by palmmandan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36 am

Here is my Pygmy Palm after it got it in the pot this morning. Got it from TyTy

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Hey palmmandan welcome,

Everyone on this board is very knowledgeable and friendly. I live just north of Toronto and love everything tropical, especially palms.
Thanks
Phil

Randall
Seed

Are you kidding?

Post by Randall » Sat May 10, 2008 11:29 pm

[quote="Mark"]Dan,

Mark[/quote
TY-TY has a very disturbing reputation.
Randall