How to transplant a Yucca

Discuss anything about yuccas here.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Kansas

How to transplant a Yucca

Post by Kansas » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:46 am

I have many wild yucca where I live and would like to dig some up. I dug one up this week but the tap root goes down so deep, I can not get it all (they are in sold rock) and I had to cut the root with my shovel.
With the root being cut with a shovel, how do I transplant it and have it work, or is it dead?

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:09 pm

I would just plant it and see what happens. I know with some yuccas if you don't get enough taproot then they don't make it. Do you know what kind of yucca it is? If it's a filamentosa those things will grow no matter what has happened to their roots. :D

Regards,
Jay

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:17 pm

Hey, If it is a Yucca glauca (I assume it is if you're in Kansas), then you should be fine. Just plant it in a sunny spot and water it well for the first spring/summer. It should recover well, but not grow much. In my experience the yucca will generally be recovered by the second summer. Howeer, one note, the Yucca's that I have transplanted (with/without a lot of root) have yet to flower despite being flowering size and having 5 years in the ground. Hopefully this summer???

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Yea, I am almost certain it is Glauca. I am actually going to ship it to Mr. Chumley.