Should i plant a Trachy Fortunei in N. Ohio?

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Rocko
Seed

Should i plant a Trachy Fortunei in N. Ohio?

Post by Rocko » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:42 am

I was just down in Florida, and it reminds me how much i love the sight of palm trees. After doing some research online, i have come up with the possibility of the Trachy Fortunei actually making in North West Ohio (Toledo). I called one dealer, and he said that i would have no problem with them. He said i would not have to cover the base in the winter. Just plant it. Looking for a reality check, since i would love to buy 3 of them. Thoughts ??

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:23 am

If your winter temps can reach 10f or lower, especially if the cold doesn't rebound relatively quickly or is repetative, expect trouble without some winter protective measures. If they where truely a "no problem" palm as one dealer puts it, there'd be plenty around to prove his claim.

Cheers, Barrie.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:47 am

Your dealer is an A$$. No way would that make it in Toledo with out some major protection. He is NOT a reputable dealer.
Barrie is right on, if they could, there would be Trachies all over your town.

macario
Seedling

palms

Post by macario » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:17 pm

But still also remeber with some protection nothing to drastic it can be done. With christmas lights and plastic it would work.

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:38 pm

You'd have to completely cover Trachycarpus in your climate. Most Trachycarpus will suffer from lethal freeze damage at around 0F. Sabal Minor and Rhapidophyllum Hystrix are much hardier than Trachycarpus. If you plan on growing any of these, you'll need to get around 15 gallon size (hardier with size).

Rocko
Seed

Post by Rocko » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:55 pm

The Windmill Palm can easily withstand annual winter temperatures dipping from 0*F to -15*F without any significant damage to its dark lustrous leaves. (Grows in Zones 4-10. Refer to Zone Map.)
Paradise Palm Company

Thought you all would enjoy this, thanks for the reality check!!

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:53 pm

"from 0*F to -15*F without any significant damage"

That's quite a claim! Geez if this bum can make that statement, I got hardy coconut palms for him for Billings, Montana.

Cheers, Barrie.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi Rocko, welcome aboard.
Nice to have you join us.

Maybe instead of Fahrenheit, they meant Celsius.
Then I'd believe it.

Get the dealer to show you some that have been planted out for a few years.
Sounds like he has a few bottles of snake oil to sell.

Barb

PhilMusa
Seedling

Post by PhilMusa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:04 pm

It looks like the new nursery Paradise Palm Company (started in 2007) didn't do their homework when they stated this,
About the Windmill Palm...

Windmill Palms are considered the kings of northern palms. Gracing palaces in cold winter climates from southern Russia, to Austria, the valleys of Switzerland, and in northern France. The Windmill Palm can easily withstand annual winter temperatures dipping from 0*F to -15*F without any significant damage to its dark lustrous leaves. Its character of a slender petite trunk with a full head of dark green palmate leaves gives any landscape a classy look fit for royalty. The Windmill Palm is highly prized and considered the number one palm for growing in a northern climate and it is also great for the southern landscape as well. It is also found gracing the grounds of most five star resorts, everywhere across Europe and now the U.S.. The Windmill Palm is a tree form palm, growing to 20-30 feet. Like most evergreens it grows in spurts from year to year but one could give it an average of six to twelve inches a year, even in the North. (Grows in Zones 4-10. Refer to Zone Map.)
I feel sorry for all of those people that actually buy this plant believing that it will survive a Zone 4,5 or 6 winter especially without protection.
Last edited by PhilMusa on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks
Phil

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:52 pm

No kidding Phil ... Maybe an e-mail to these folks to sort out this mistake is in order.

Cheers, Barrie.