How often do you water?

Discuss palms you grow inside.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

How often do you water?

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:41 am

Once again this year I am having a hard time with my watering routine. I have been checking the soil moisture by probing my finger in the soil as deep as i can get it. I do not like moisture gauges, I found out the hard way that they are not very accurate. I found myself watering once every two weeks. Fair enough I thought. WRONG!!!!! Most of my palms are now showing signs of leaf spot and other water related damage. I use a soil mixture of 1 part topsoil, 1 part perlite, 2 part cactus/palm mix and 3 parts coarse sand. This mixture drains well so it is frustrating to have so many of my palms looking like crap.

How often do you find yourself watering your plants?

Thanks for letting me vent!! :lol:

Not the pot I was expecting........

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:40 am

tough question to answer because every situation is a lttle different depending on drainage, size of the pot, size of plant/tree, sun, fan, inside conditions etc. As a general rule of thumb, all my plants/palms that are in a 3 gallon or larger container get watered weekly. I do not flood the plant nor do I like to see water pooling in the saucer (a bad thing). I use a 20 ounce cup of to water. add or subtract water from the cup based on the size of the container and plant. I have a ton of seedlings in 16 and 20 ounce cups that have to be watered several time each week.

Now with the days getting longer and the sun a little stronger I have noticed the top of the soil drying out quicker so I will probaly change my watering schedule to every 4-6 days (depending on several factors) on the larger stuff.

My bottom line - I have learned over the years that keeping stuff on the dry side during the winter months is much better than keeping it too wet.

Good luck. Keep trying you'll get it right.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Mark
Seedling

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:41 am

I water my Queen palms weekly since they dry out quickly in the house upstairs. The rest of my palms which I have downstairs (walkout basement) are watered either weekly or every other week depending on how quickly the soil dries out. My downstairs plants dry out slower since it cooler down there and theres not as much sunlight as I get get upstairs.

Mark

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 am

Craig, while I'm no expert, my palms/cycads look pretty good.
I go by temp.

Those in the cold, barely-heated building (40-45 F) get watered sparingly...once a month or even less.
I don't mist them at all. Phoenix canariensis, jade tree, citrus, succulents, trachy (they like a cool winter temp).

The palms in the house, where it's really warm, get watered a tiny bit each week...just to keep the top layer of soil from drying out. I also mist frequently, sometimes 3x a day.

The new bamboo palm, and cat palm like really moist soil so I mist them a foot above the soil line until water drips. Chinese fan, Mediterranean fan, triangles (have 3 now, yippee), spindle, D.spinulosum, D.edule, Zamia vasquezii, Z. picta, Sabal seedlings, Rhapis excelsa, Jasmine, Bird of Paradise, are all grouped together which keeps humidity higher than if they were displayed separately all over the place. Haven't seen any spider mites...yet.

The high humidity from grouping plants is especially for the Licuala grandis.
Its new leaf has NO brown edges, a reasonably good indicator this high-humidity loving palm is happy.

This winter has been sunnier than most, but I think humidity is more of a benefit in winter than sunshine.
Hope this helps.
Barb

Dean W.
Small Palm

Post by Dean W. » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:38 am

I just try to water mine when they look dry. I mixed a good potting soil w/ perlite. So I find it pretty easy to tell when there on the dry side.

Dean

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for the replies all!

My wife says I need to have my hands duct taped so I can't get a hold of the watering can......LOL. As usual, she's right. :lol:

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Craig,
do you want to post some pics?
There might be something obvious to someone else.

Barb

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:03 am

Barb

I will take some pics today.

Craig

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:32 am

Here are some pics of my handy work.... :(

Pygmy Date
King Palm
Majesty Palm

I have to laugh when I read that it's virtually impossible to over water a Majesty Palm. Wanna bet!?!?!? LOL