Germinating some 2001 palm seeds?

Germination Techniques

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Mark
Seedling

Germinating some 2001 palm seeds?

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:38 am

I just came across some plam seed I picked up in Vegas back in 2001. These were from palms growing along the sidewalk of the strip. Maybe Saw Palmetto Palm? Not sure. I want to try to germiante these. Are they too old? I did germinate some seeds years back. I placed them in a shallow pan with soil covered with plastic wrap and kept them very in moist in a sunny location. Within a few weeks I had some sprouts and was able to transplant and grow them. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to get these to germinate and grow. I've attached some pics of the seeds to see if it is possible to indentify. Any help would be appricated.

Thanks Mark
:D

Sorry best pics I could take.

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:47 am

Mark,

I can't really tell from your pics what it is, but they are most likely Washingtonia's or Chamaerops humilis 'Mediterranean Fan Palm'. Alot of them around Vegas. Soak the seeds for a day or two and give them a try. I just wrap my seeds in a damp paper towel and place them in a plastic bag. I place them on a heating pad that heats the seeds to 85*F-90*F

Craig
Last edited by Cali-wanna-b on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not the pot I was expecting........

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:50 am

Like Craig said, it is hard to tell from those photos. Looks like the flesh is still on them. Remove the flesh & put them in a bowl of water. If they float they are probably not going to germinate, if they sink you may have a chance.

Mark
Seedling

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks Guys!

I saw some pics of Saw Palmetto seeds since I posted and they are not that. Likely Mediterranean Fan Palm as you say.

You say remove the flesh. You mean the outer shell correct?

Mark

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:40 am

Yes you want to remove everything down to the bare seed coat.