hi everyone

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

KirkUT

hi everyone

Post by KirkUT » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:08 pm

It looks like I'm the first poster....I'm currently residing in northern Utah, a solid 7a climate. I'm currently growing windmill palms with fairly good results. So where is everyone else residing?

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:14 pm

Hi Kirk,

Welcome to the forum. So in northern Utah do you receive lots of snow in the winter or just a little?

Regards,
Jay

KirkUT

Northern Utah winters

Post by KirkUT » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:28 pm

In a typical northern Utah winter, we do see quite a bit of snow. However, the last couple of winters haven't snowed as much as it has in the past. At least in my area, we haven't hit 0F in quite a few years, though we did get close last year (2.5F).

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:49 pm

What do you use to protect your palms for cold spells?

Regards,
Jay

KirkUT

protection

Post by KirkUT » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:56 pm

I wrap trunks with burlap-like material, and string x-mas lights around the trunks as well. It seems to have worked pretty well in the past.

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:31 pm

Awesome :D

That's what i'm going to do when i plant mine outside.

KirkUT
Seed

keep us informed!

Post by KirkUT » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:05 am

We'll all have to keep one another informed when cold weather hits - perhaps we could help keep each other's plants alive with our mutual ideas! Luckly, where I live, it's pretty rare to go below zero F, so hopefully that will help!

Jay-Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jay-Admin » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:29 pm

Sounds good :D

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:39 pm

Yes it sounds great! I have been keeping record of highs/lows, Dewpoint, heat index, and wind chills for my area. I began 7/7/04...so it will be a few years before I have any data worth going by. It would be great to fill each other in on growing tips!... I have been working on a simple and cheap way to protect palms on those really cold nights, or when snow is expected. I'm going to build it first to see how good it will actually work! :D

vmbari82
Seed

Palms

Post by vmbari82 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:24 pm

I'm living in Allen, TX now, and we have plenty of good results here in solid zone 8. The Taco Bell down the street has some awesome Washingtonia Filifera's on their site, and several front yards here have nice examples of Washingtonia, Sabal Palmetto, Windmill Palms, and various cycads.

In my native Baltimore, there has been success with most of these as well. Relatives of mine have sabal palmetto and washingtonia palms that flourish with no protection. Baltimore was moved to Zone 8 under the new USDA Map, as well as Washington DC, where I have seen windmill palms and washingtonias as big as 10 feet high.

-Matt Swann
Allen, TX