Fert Question

What to use? When?

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

Arctic Palm
Seedling

Fert Question

Post by Arctic Palm » Thu May 31, 2007 4:11 pm

Ok so I have all these palms...now I need to know exactly what I should be doing to feed them right. I have bought palm spikes, I have watered with Epsom salts (is that ok?)..I probably water too much, I water Mon-Wed-Fri. Everything is green right now and I wanna keep it that way. Is 10-10-10 the best fert for palms?

turtile
Seedling

Post by turtile » Thu May 31, 2007 5:24 pm

I use Osmocote Plus when I can find it along with Espoma Holly-Tone (for the minor/trace nutrients) once in a while. Osmocote is slow release 15-9-12 and contains minor nutrients (includes epsom salts). In fall, I add extra Epsom salts and Potash for the winter. You may want to add both during drought times as well.

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:19 pm

I know your post was five months ago, but there's some new-ish info.

They (Florida palm group) said the BEST palm fertilizers (in addition to the regular good ones like Ozmokote sp? etc.)
are a 2-1-4 ratio or close to it. One was quoted as 10-5-15. Also must add magnesium (epsom salts), and manganese (both considered critical to palm health) AND TRACE ELEMENTS.

I recall reading that in sandy Florida soils, nitrogen is leached quickly away, so palm fertilizers should always be time-release (not the fast acting kind).

The article was headed (something like) If Palms Grow So Well in Florida, Why Do they all Look so Lousy?

Interesting that the potassium is at least 1.5 times--up to two times--nitrogen.

Barb