I have Butia seeds and need Trachy seeds

Please read rules

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

Kansas

I have Butia seeds and need Trachy seeds

Post by Kansas » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:54 pm

I have a bunch of Butia Capy seeds and want to trade for something.
Let me know what you have to trade. I really need some Trachy seeds, but will trade for almost anything.

Barrie

How many?

Post by Barrie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:15 am

How many Trachycarpus seeds do you need? Generally, most people here leave the seed on the tree until February to mature fully. You should quite easily be able to find someone much closer than me and on the U.S. side of the border to exchange with. Less hassle with customs declarations etc.

Cheers, Barrie (Vancouver Island)

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:49 am

I don't have anyTrachy seeds but ...... I'll trade you a couple of Trach Fortunei seedlings for a couple of butia capitata seedlings.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Thanks Barrie. I think I might go to Banana Joe again and just buy them from him. He sure treated me right last year. Problem was, was that that was very first seed popping trial. And I did get about 50% to pop, but I didn't have a clue. Also, of the 50 that popped, I didn't know how to take care of them so now I am stuck with only 10-12 three leafed trees right now.
OP, I would gladly trade you, however, the guy that sent me Butia seedling he dug up shipped my 8. And of the 8 only 4 are really doing good and I want to keep them. The other 4 are not dead, they just are not putting out a new leaf like the others. If you think you can bring life into them, I can give you a couple for a couple Fortunei seedlings, but again, they don't look all that good, and I would hate to send you trees and have you disappointed with them.

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:37 pm

I just received about 10 Butia Capitata seeds in the mail the other day - whats the best way to germinate and how long?
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:17 pm

Butia seed germinate very easy. Baggie with moist soil in a warm location. In our area the ripe fruit drop from the tree & land in the boots of the mother. They germinate in there & you always see the seedlings growing out of the mothers boots.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:10 pm

By chance Laaz,
You don't happen to have any Butia capitata seed you'd be willing to part with?
Mine hasn't flowered yet, maybe this year? Who knows!

Cheers, LPN.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:20 pm

I have a couple Barrie. Email me your address & I'll get them out to you. Too bad your not in the states, I don't germinate them anymore, as it is simple to just yank the seedling out of the mother tree's boots. They grow like weeds...

Wes North Van

Kansas

Post by Wes North Van » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:01 pm

I have trachy seeds if you want some. They are just about ready now.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a

Barrie

Thanks Laaz

Post by Barrie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Laaz,
I left you a PM (personal message) with my e-mail address.
Cheers, Barrie.

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:06 pm

Wes North Van I left you a PM.