Saw Palmetto Serona repens (Silver form) from Santa Laaz

Please read rules

Moderators: Laaz, lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Saw Palmetto Serona repens (Silver form) from Santa Laaz

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:38 am

Hi all,

I have 100 fresh, uncleaned seeds from Santa Laaz. :lol: I bagged them into 20 seed lots. If you would like a bag, PM with your mailing info and I will send one out for free. Merry Christmas all!!!

Craig

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:01 pm

Ha ! See I knew you didn't want to have to deal with that smell cleaning them all.... :lol:

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:35 pm

Would love to take you up on your generous offer BUT...
I think I'll grow new teeth before my current seeds pop :wink:

They really stink THAT bad? :lol:
Barb

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:34 am

Ha ! See I knew you didn't want to have to deal with that smell cleaning them all....
LOL....the first 50 burned me out.

Barb,

They are not that bad. Laaz just has a weak stomach.... :lol: They will turn your hands a nice yellow.....Laaz left that part out when he gave me cleaning instructions...... :laughing6:

There is one bag left....first come first serve...............I will be sending them out this weekend.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:24 am

Hell... I wear latex gloves when I harvest them... :shock:

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:32 am

All the seeds are spoken for.

I have one other tip when cleaning these seeds. When you squeeze the fruit to remove flesh, keep your mouth shut..........they are a little juicey and don't taste real good..... :brushteeth:

lucky1
Arctic Palm Plantation

Post by lucky1 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 am

You two are hilarious... :lol:

Barb

oppalm
Small Palm

Post by oppalm » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:32 pm

just received mine in the mail today as a late Christmas gift. They smell a little disgusting. It kind of reminded me of the cat litter type stuff they used to throw on puke in elementary school (if you know what I mean). which reminds me of a story, when I was in 4th grade I was racing a classmate down the hall , he turned the corner real fast , and hit a pile of throw up and must have slid 50 feet in and through this stuff. It was hilarious. He actually got up, walked into class crying and explained to the teacher what happened, she immediately sent him to the nurse, who sent him home. Our class was dismissed to recess for like 2 hours while they cleaned up the hall, the class room and sanitized everything. sorry about the story, but I thought you should know.
Kent in Kansas
where it's cold in winter (always)
and hot in summer (usually)
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_min ... sh&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:42 pm

just received mine in the mail today as a late Christmas gift. They smell a little disgusting. It kind of reminded me of the cat litter type stuff they used to throw on puke in elementary school (if you know what I mean). which reminds me of a story, when I was in 4th grade I was racing a classmate down the hall , he turned the corner real fast , and hit a pile of throw up and must have slid 50 feet in and through this stuff. It was hilarious. He actually got up, walked into class crying and explained to the teacher what happened, she immediately sent him to the nurse, who sent him home. Our class was dismissed to recess for like 2 hours while they cleaned up the hall, the class room and sanitized everything. sorry about the story, but I thought you should know.
:laughing3: yes, they smell like :pottytrain5:

You shoud of seen the face on the lady at the post office :sad2: PRICELESS!!!!

Kansas

Post by Kansas » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:36 am

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I need to soak them for 3 days, then let them dry out and crack the outside shell and then germinate THOSE right?

Cali-wanna-b
Seedling

Post by Cali-wanna-b » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:19 am

According to Laaz, yes. I was able to crack most of mine as I removed the fruit from the seed. Most took a pretty good squeeze. The ones I couldn't crack I did just as you stated.

Laaz

Post by Laaz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:15 am

Thats right. Serona repens have a egg shell type coating that you want to remove.

Wes North Van

seeds

Post by Wes North Van » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:06 am

Now I see what I have done wrong/ I never removed the outer layer of the seed. I have none of my seeds germinate yet. I will try removing the outer layer.
Wes North Vancouver Zone 8b/9a
Keats Island BC Zone 8a
Palm Springs CA Zone 9b/10a