Hello from South Carolina

New to PalmsNorth? Introduce yourself here.

Moderator: lucky1

gpenny
Sprout

Hello from South Carolina

Post by gpenny » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:16 am

Yeh, I know! We grow lots of palms here in central S.C. ,however, just like you guys in the North, I'm always pushing the envelope here too! Y'all seem to be a great group of folks and look forward to chatting in the future! Great site!

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:59 am

You may have some notes to compare with other members. Laaz in Charleston pops in here once in a while.
Cheers, Barrie.

TerdalFarm
Palm Grove

Post by TerdalFarm » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Welcome!
What are you growing?
How cold does it get there?
We are at comparable latitudes, but that is not all that matters. I suspect you can grow some palms that would be really hard for me!
--Erik

gpenny
Sprout

Post by gpenny » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Right now I am pretty much growing the standards for this area. Butias,palmettos,dwarf palmettos, Trachcys Takil & Fortunei,Med. fan pams,,Cycas rev. ,needle palms. Everythings unprotected and doing great. Too lazy to mess with "borderline" stuff right now. did a lot of experimenting 20-30 years ago and have settled on the reliable. What I lack in diversity, I make up for in numbers and size. On my 15-20,000 sq. ft. lot I have maybe 50 palms (many mature 20-40 ft. specimens. Oklahome has nothing but a barbed wire fence between y'all and the North Pole! We at least have the Appalachians!

Mark
Seedling

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:37 am

Welcome!

Love to see some pics.

Mark