cherry laurel "otto luyken"

Citrus, Ferns, Hostas, Discuss other plants that don't fit in any other category.

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

cuja1
Seedling

cherry laurel "otto luyken"

Post by cuja1 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Anyone had any experience with this plant? I put it next to my house on a side that is protected from the north and west winds. The problem I found out is that it likes semi-arid conditions. I dug it up yesterday and it was sitting in soupy mud. So I did what I do with my cacti which is mix about 66% pea gravel in with the dirt. Somehow I have the feeling this plant still isn't going to be happy with this setup.

It's such an awesome plant it kind of reminds me of oleander.

Jeff

DarkNight
Sprout
Location: Riga, Latvia, Zone 5a(often)-6a (officially), latitude 56°

Re: cherry laurel "otto luyken"

Post by DarkNight » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:42 am

cuja1 wrote:Anyone had any experience with this plant? I put it next to my house on a side that is protected from the north and west winds. The problem I found out is that it likes semi-arid conditions. I dug it up yesterday and it was sitting in soupy mud. So I did what I do with my cacti which is mix about 66% pea gravel in with the dirt. Somehow I have the feeling this plant still isn't going to be happy with this setup.

It's such an awesome plant it kind of reminds me of oleander.
Mine are fine in Zone 5b.
I make sure they don't get any winter/spring sun though.
If I don't, they get massive burns.
Therefore I place them at northern walls and other places where it's bright, but no direct sun till mid april.