Gardenias

Citrus, Ferns, Hostas, Discuss other plants that don't fit in any other category.

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

dukeofdoom
Seedling

Gardenias

Post by dukeofdoom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 am

Its hard to beat this plant for smell and evergreen foliage. I have the kleins hardy one and G. jasminoides and I've kept them both indoors because I was afraid of overwintering them.

I came across this link about the different kinds of Gardenias:

http://www.southernliving.com/home-gard ... 000067198/

The article above seems suggest that even the common/house plant is hardy to 10F and can survive a cold spell down to 0F.

So I was just curious if anyone has left their gardenia outdoors to over winter? How did it do in your garden? If you got it to bloom.
And if anyone left G. jasminoides outdoors?

TerdalFarm
Palm Grove

Post by TerdalFarm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 pm

I've tried and failed with "hardy" Gardenias. Oh, well.

KrisK
Seedling

Post by KrisK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm

I got a kleims hardy and a chuck hayes. They do fine outside for me. I'd cover if there were to be freezing rain forecast, but they take plain cold or snow just fine. I saw a couple new introductions last year. "Snow in summer" and "crown jewel". The crown jewel is a cross between kleims and chuck hayes. Supposed to good to zone 6 for sure, maybe even a warm 5b according to the propogator. May have to try one this year.

Normal gardenias will melt below 10F, IMO.

dukeofdoom
Seedling

Post by dukeofdoom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Cool, I'll plant mine this spring and take my chances.

KrisK, which zone are you in?

The kleims one seems to grow small and has simple flowers, compared to the normal house plant variety.
It also bloomed outside in a pot for me all at once then lost its flowers. Is that typical for you in your climate?

Are any of the varieties you mentioned, larger, or have better flowers than the kleims?

KrisK
Seedling

Post by KrisK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:02 am

I'm 7a, but we must've done something right the last few years, as we have had 8a minimums. My kleims is kind of range-y or leggy. It does have small daisy type single blooms, but blooms off and on from spring til fall, when it gets orange seed pods. If it dropped flowers I'd speculate too much/little water. Chuck hayes has the typical double blooms, and burns more in winter than my kleims but also gets more winter sun. I cant say about the "snow in summer" but I read from the creator of "crown jewel" web page that its more like gardenia "frostproof" in that it spreads out versus getting tall.

http://www.crownjewelgardenia.com/info.htm looks interesting to me. I've noticed theyre popping up on eBay and the like so I hope to hear more real world accounts before buying one myself.

JackLord
Seedling

Post by JackLord » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:44 am

One year ago, I planted a Frostproof and a Chuck Hayes. Both flowered and have doubled in size already. No protection at all and planted on the northeast side near the house. I checked on them during the recent cold snaps and they look unconcerned.

I highly recommend these cultivars. They look and smell just as good as the tropical variety.

dukeofdoom
Seedling

Post by dukeofdoom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for the help!

I'll give these a try when I see them for sale.