will be looking for large palms around vancouver bc

This section is for enthusiasts looking for hard to find cold hardy palms, yuccas, plants etc.

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

cedardave
Sprout

will be looking for large palms around vancouver bc

Post by cedardave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:01 pm

My family will be heading to the west coast mid summer for vacation. I would love to find somewhere ther that I can get a fairly large palm to bring back with us. I plan on hauling along a good size trailer for our adventure anyway. I am in winnipeg so as you can guess the plant may be coming indoors for the winter...however. If things work out it may end up planted in the ground permanently in its own winter palm house(heated). Any suggestions on where to find a good variety of the larger ones would be appreciated.We will be in the south surrey whiterock area. I suspect I will end up with a windmill ..but who knows. thanks

Okanagan desert-palms
Clumping Palm

Post by Okanagan desert-palms » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:25 am

Dave check out Sunnyside nursery in Tsawwassen about 20 min from Whiterock ask for "Rene". You might want to phone him about spring specials they had hundreds of 15 gal T. fortunei last April for $95.00 maybe you can get a rain check if you pre pay. They also have many other cold hardy palms. 604.943.9712

John
Okanagan Palms and Tropicals
6b-7a

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:29 am

Well cedardave, you'd pretty much have your pick of garden centers as nearly all would stock palms in various sizes. If you're refering to large (24" or 36" crated), expect to pay dearly. Prices range anywhere from $500 to $2,500 depending on trunk height. A respectable 15 gallon specimen should set you back between $149 and $250 depending on the retailer.
Sunnyside Nursery in Tsawwassen (South Delta) usually has a very good selection and reasonable prices (relatively speaking). There are many others too which perhaps can be listed by others.

Cheers, Barrie.

cedardave
Sprout

Post by cedardave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:16 am

thanks very much. I will check them out.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Len (Rene's brother) at Sunnyside nursery has been very helpful with me over the years. They're the only ones I've really dealt with to any real extent since I've lived on Vancouver Island.
I used to deal with Russ at Cedar Rim nursery in Langley and periodically Art Knapp's in South Surrey (Mud Bay) which is quite close to White Rock. It's been 10 years since being there so I can't vouch for any of their current operations.

Cheers, Barrie.