Musa maurellii Liners

This section is for enthusiasts looking for hard to find cold hardy palms, yuccas, plants etc.

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

jenf
Seed

Musa maurellii Liners

Post by jenf » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi
I'm looking for a source for Musa maurellii liners (Red Banana) either on Vancouver Island or the lower mainland. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks Jennifer

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Jen ... have you checked with Ray at Tropic to Tropic?
BTW ~ they're Ensete not Musa.

Cheers, Barrie.

jenf
Seed

Musa maurellii

Post by jenf » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:49 am

Hey Barrie
I tried Ray as that was where I got my last ones, but haven't heard back from him. His site only shows him having 1 gal size, I would prefer smaller ones, and be able to get a few. Still hoping to hear from him, actually that's where I got the name Musa maurellii . I'm led to beleive that the only way to propaate these is throuh tissue culture, a little beyond my capabilities. The one I have is beautiful, and I would love to have a few more. How did yours make it through the winter? Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, hope all is well with you.
Jen

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Hey Jen,

I thought of Ray because he has / had a regular tissue culture lab that would do work for him. He's notoriously slow with internet and e-mail contact. Best to phone him on Saturdays. The correct botanical name is Ensete ventricosum 'Maurellii' for the record.
Mine wintered just fine in ground (insulated plywood box) and is now just begining to show some good headway. All is fine here and at Duke. If you're thru and looking for us the crew mess is now on the 3rd floor of the control tower (of all places).
Otherwise, you know where to find me.

Cheers, Barrie.