Rough Winter

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

Jeff_Ajax
Sprout

Rough Winter

Post by Jeff_Ajax » Sat May 07, 2016 8:03 am

So winter was actually quite mild this year but my busy fall meant I didn't get a chance to cover the palm properly. I wrapped it in moving blankets and a tarp which resulted in too much moister and mold. That being said she's alive and growing with 8 Flower Pods coming off it. Should I cut the flowers off as they emerge to give more energy towards it pushing fronds instead?

Jeff M
Ajax, ON, Zone 5b

palmtreecod
Seed

Post by palmtreecod » Sun May 08, 2016 10:04 am

Still green in zone 5b... crazy! What was the lowest temperature you can remember from this year?

Jeff_Ajax
Sprout

Post by Jeff_Ajax » Sun May 08, 2016 5:26 pm

palmtreecod wrote:Still green in zone 5b... crazy! What was the lowest temperature you can remember from this year?
We saw -25C a couple of evenings. The palm has seen up to -9 in the past with no protection at all. I leaned my rigid foam covers up against it to form a little bit of a windbreak. I'm pretty happy it looks as good as it does.
Jeff M
Ajax, ON, Zone 5b

905palms
Seedling

Post by 905palms » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:10 pm

I would cut half of them off, but otherwise she's still very happy. Palm may be tattered a little, but she doesn't know it.
Check out some of my wrapping techniques at www.niagaratropics.com
Je n'est pas d'affaire a faire, les affaires que je n'est pas d'affaire a faire - moi
I have no business doing the things I have no business doing - me