Wichita's palms after the Arctic's visit...;)

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

kspalmguy
Seedling

Wichita's palms after the Arctic's visit...;)

Post by kspalmguy » Thu May 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Here's some pictures of some Sabal (and a needle) specimens in Wichita, they all look great! (Sorry for the blurry pictures, I'll go back and get better ones tomorrow or Saturday...

KrisK
Seedling

Post by KrisK » Thu May 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks for the pics, they look pretty good considerin'!
Tell me about your temps, like extreme lows ( how many) and duration.

We took it on the chin here with gettin close to "0f" several times and 3-4 times were we stayed below freezing for 3-4 consecutive days.

kspalmguy
Seedling

Post by kspalmguy » Thu May 08, 2014 11:13 pm

Looks like our lowest this year was 5 degrees F...only one night...However, we had many days where the highs were only in the upper 20s, and about a week where there was 3 inches of snow on the ground. When the polar vortex came through, it dropped into the teens and stayed there for 3 days...fun! Haha. These palms are up against a church, they're the only ones I know of remaining in Wichita. I'd love to see some trachies along the Arkansas River and sprinkled around downtown, though...I really think they'd do fine here. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening, though I'd love to raise awareness...(is "awareness" the same thing as taking a few thousand trachy seeds and throwing them in random yards late at night? Hmmm...) >:D

cuja1
Seedling

Post by cuja1 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Witchita looks somewhat tropical from those pics.
Jeff

kspalmguy
Seedling

Post by kspalmguy » Sat May 10, 2014 4:18 pm

I guess I can dream huh? ;) I often have actual dreams that I'm driving around Wichita and come across a palm I've never seen before...