Winterizing *gasp*

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

skutch
Seed

Winterizing *gasp*

Post by skutch » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:14 pm

I know it's still midsummer, but as my palms are enjoying their first year of rooting in ground, I thought I'd ask what folks would recommend as the best winterizing method. Is it worth building a frame? And what's the best material to use to wrap? Xmas lights on the inside or outside of wrap? Sorry if this should be known, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer on what gets the best luck. I've heard burlap holds water and therefore will freeze/melt and rot the plant. Do those "thermal blankets" work... then wrap with lights? Cold frame? Just don't want to get caught the second week in November and not have anything planned. I'm in NJ around zone 7. Hasn't been cold the past 2 winters, but who knows what 013/14 will bring...

Tarkus
Sprout

Post by Tarkus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:02 am

You're not too far from me down in Maryland but I'm still a zone 7. I know you can get so many opinions on what to do and if they work, there's probably no real wrong answer but for me it's been fairly simple. I have 2 trachys in the ground with one of them in for 3 years now. As you said, the past 2 winters have been fairly easy and so I've pretty much left them uncovered on top most of the winter. They are protected in a tomato cage with insulation and Christmas lights but the cage is open on top. When severe cold/freezing rain is forecast I've closed the top with a simple trash bag just to keep any freezing rain off the spears but for the most part they've been open.

chadec
Small Palm

Post by chadec » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:36 pm

I definitely think keeping the the growing point dry during winter is most important for the first several years. I tie my fronds up and wrap the trunk with burlap. Then using cheap pvc from lowes I built a tent over my palms with a frost cloth or tarp.