SW ontario palm source????

For cold hardy palm tree enthusiasts.

Moderators: lucky1, Alchris, Kansas, Wes North Van, Laaz

willy1der
Sprout

SW ontario palm source????

Post by willy1der » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Im looking for a windmill or needle but any of the cold hardier palms will do.Can any member here send me to a nursury etc.in SW ont.I have spent so much time looking around and have found only one place that told me to call back in spring to check (colasantis).Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!I have seeds growing but want a palm to overwinter outdoors.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:51 pm

I'd heard that these guys are in Ontario Canada, maybe somewhere not to far from you.

http://www.millionplants.com/products/hardy-tropicals/

Cheers, Barrie.

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:26 am

If you want to pick up a 'common' Washy robusta just head to your local Rona or HD...

If you're specific about palm (as you should be) there are really only 2 sources. One is Cole's Florists in Grimsby, Ontario (near St. Catherines). There is a fellow there by the name of Tony who has been instrumental in getting palms, Camellias, bamboo, other BLE's, etc. into Ontario. They will have neeldes, Sabals, Trachys (several "species"), cacti, Agave's, etc.

Rice Road Greenhouses also still carries palms, I think, but they got rid of Tony so a few of us aren't really going there anymore. They are worth a look for the sheer number of different plants they carry...

Outside palms there are many other good nurseries in Niagara region. By far the best in the province (and certainly better than any I've seen in anywhere else in the country) and well worth a look. There include Mori, Nettle Creek (many interesting tree spp.), Grimo Nut Nursery, etc. If you're close enough you should head there!

willy1der
Sprout

Post by willy1der » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:36 am

Thank you both for the reply,I will head to those places very soon.I should have just posted here in the beggining,They have or will be carrying windmills,needles and sables so I will have to come out of there with all three!!!!

Paul Ont
Large Palm

Post by Paul Ont » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:44 am

Wait until spring. I odn't know if/when they will be getting the palms in stock... If you look up Niagara tropicals blog you should be able to find an email for Tony.

ScottyON
Seedling

Post by ScottyON » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:12 am

Hey.. I have bought palms from Tony and Coles as well! Great source. But again wait until Spring! They usually get there shipments in late April early may. The Riceroad Garden Centre also has plams but never been there myself..

PALMETTOMAN
Seedling

ontario trachy search

Post by PALMETTOMAN » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm here in Ajax..Valleyview Nurseries has a pretty good selection of hardy palms but you have to go to Scarborough on Kennedy Rd. just north of Finch Avenue...I bought a 4 footer and its been 2 years in the ground winterized with a polycarbonate moveable palmhouse.

Good luck

Palmettoman Z6-Ajax, On